Care and Cleaning of Feathers and Feather Dresses
Feathers and feather boas are a natural items, and some care and attention is required to look after them. Proper maintenance of your feathers will keep them looking beautiful, and the information on this page will help you care for your feathers and your feather dresses. Our feathers and feather dresses are clean, properly treated, and are ready for you to use as soon as you receive them.
How to Wash Ostrich and Peacock Feathers and Feather dresses...
Washing should be done in warm soapy water if needed. We use a liquid dish soap like joy or dawn. If you ever have to wash your feathers, dry them naturally, never dry with direct heat such as putting them on a radiator or in the oven! Once dry, steam them to make them nice and full again.
Washing Dyed Feathers...
Feather dyes ARE NOT COLOR FAST. Do not mix colors if you wash them. Colors may run if wet.
How to Re-Fluff Ostrich and Peacock Feathers and Feather Boas
Feathers and boas naturally dry out over a period of time and lose both their fluffiness and fullness. To restore your feathers and boas back to their original soft and fluffy look, we recommend that you agitate and steam them. This is always a good place to start in order to make them look more attractive.
First, rub the feathers or boas between your hands, gently but firmly. This brings out the feather flu and makes the individual strands fluffier. You can do this with boas as well. The next step is to steam the feathers. (A store bought steamer, or 15 minutes hanging in the bathroom with the hot water running will do) Agitating and steaming the feathers will put moisture back into them, expanding their appearance. This is especially true for peacock and ostrich feathers. Once the feather has opened up, stop. More steaming has little or no effect.
If using a steamer
- Shake any dust or excess feathers from your feather boa. Place the boa on a hook or hanger and examine it. Use your fingers to gently tease apart any clumping areas. Look for broken or hairless feathers and remove them as you go.
- Hold the steamer in an upright position so that condensation flows back inside.
- Run the steam cleaner up and down the feathers. Pay attention to any areas where the feathers look particularly crushed or bunched. Run the steam cleaner over each side until the boa's feathers are nice and fluffy.
Before wearing your custom made feather design, you will want to take some precautions against feather "shedding.
- If your design has a removable brooch added, you will want to remove it at this time.
- Take your design outside and give it a few good shakes; think about how you would shake a rug to clean it. Your design has been meticulously sewn by our top designer seamstresses, and this will NOT damage your investment.
- Repeat these steps each time before your outfit is worn.